Sunday, July 25, 2010


The “Hummanya” blow hole is a well-known attraction in the deep South of the country and it certainly lives up to expectations. Seeing it was an exhilarating experience and one that shouldn’t be missed.

The Kudawella Blow Hole, a site that is breathtakingly mysterious. Volumes of sea water whistle through a natural fine hole from beneath a massive rock in the sea. Located on a rock about 40 ft above sea level, this magnificent site was first discovered after a close scrutiny of photographs taken from the sea.

At the site, rough and high waves push water into the triangular based rock bottom, and force it through a hole at the bottom of the rock with very high pressure. With the sound of a blow whistle the water is blown high into the air. Approaching this place, one can find many small outlets selling local fruits, thirst quenching

drinks and the all time favorite fresh fried fish. In addition to this you will also find souvenir shops with a variety of local handicrafts and ornaments made out of sea shells and other marine findings.

Ritipanna (Stilt) Fishermen

Sri Lanka is unique for its "stilt fishermen" of its west coast - fishermen who sit on small benches on poles stuck into the water a few meters offshore and fish for small reef fish called ‘Bollu’ and ‘Koramburuwo’
photographers show that they are from Walligama - however, currently they can only be seen north of Walligama along the beaches of Koggala - and the few who still fish make more from tourists for photos than they do from fishing.
The stilt fisherman of the South have become a symbol of Sri Lanka. the fishermen in their unmistakable stilts have come to iconise patient perseverance in Sri Lanka.

Mathale Aluviharaya

Surrounded by hills, the famous Aluvihara cave temple 30 km south of Kandy on the Matale-Dambulla road is of great historic importance. The history of Aluvihara is traced back to the 3rd Century B.C in the reign of King Devanampiyatissa. It is believed that the King built the dagoba and planted the Bo sapling.
To enter the Aluvihara one has to climb a number of steps. In the Viharaya is a rock cave with paintings and statues in it. The Ven. Dr. Inamaluwe Nandarathana Thera explained that the paintings are of 'Anothattha Vila' "Dahamsonda Jatakaya, Huridattha Jatakaya, "Maithri Bodhisattva' and a few others. In another section. the 'Vessantara Jatakaya' has been painted. At the entrance there is a "Makara Thorana', figures of 'Doratupala' , paintings of lions and flags with the sun and moon.
In the 'Sangayana Lena there is a painting of the Maha Rahathan Theras writing the Tripitaka on talipot leaves.
Aluvihare is one of the most important cultural sites in Sri Lanka.It was believed to be, Buddhist doctrines were first recorded on Ola leaves after passing through orally, here in the 1st century BC, during the reign of King Vattagamini Abaya.This Dhamma record is known as 'Thripitakaya' and to day it is concern as main guiding Dhamma book of Theravada Buddhism.Aluvihare is significant for the huge rocks which leads to classified it as a rock temple.
The significance of Aluvihara is the writing of the Tripitaka in Pali was passed on from generation to generation, verbally by his pupils.

Madu Church

Traditionally Madu has been the site of a Pattini Devale sacred to Buddhists and Hindus, from the time of King Gaja Bahu who introduced the Pattini cult to ancient Lanka at a prudent distance from the capital Anuradhapura, which was the center of orthodox Theravada Buddhism. So, the Pattini Devale has been there for 1,850 years, at least.

Later on, the Hindus called it the Amman Kovil. The nearby tank is still called Kovil Kulam of the after the Tamil name of the site. It is still sacred to Buddhists and Hindus even though the Catholics have usurped the site.

According to the "Manual of the North Central Province", by R. W. Levers, 1889, establishes that,present Madhu Church site had a "Pattini temple till the 19th century. The Catholic shrine to St. Mary was established in 1876. A short History of the Madhu Church, written by the Bishop of Jaffna and given to E. B. Denham establishes that the church was founded in 1876 but not completely built even in 1891anni Districts